Thursday, July 2, 2009

Little update...

It's been awhile, again. What have we been up to? We just got back from a great week of camp last week at Pitt. I was the official camp nurse this year, and everything pretty much went well until the last hour of camp, literally. One of the campers became unresponsive on the girls' bathroom floor, where I proceeded to get her to wake up a little bit and did some nurse-like things (vitals, finger stick, sternal rub to wake her up). She vomited several times all over the place, so I called an ambulance b/c I couldn't transport her half-awake and vomiting (that's just begging for some aspiration). In the end, she had a ruptured cyst, which can be extremely painful. It was a little scary b/c I'm used to the ICU where we have everything on a monitor right in front of you, we just have to evaluate the results (heart rhythm, pulse, BP, O2 sat, respirations). This is not the case at a rural camp. It is not fun to find someone pale, cold, and clammy, and not be able to check their O2 content. Cameron Bailey had literally left 5 minutes before this happened, and he had equipment that would have been extremely helpful to me! Rule for next year: he has to stay as long as I do:) I also never want to call a mother again and tell her I called an ambulance for her daughter, that felt awful. Other than that the week went great. Brandon and Tim Hunt put together an awesome experience for the kids, we had a great staff, and several kids made important decisions. The best part? I got to spend the whole week with Teri and Ariel! We both value our friendship so much and living so far apart is sad sometimes, so it was nice to be able to catch up and actually have the time to hang out. And don't even get me started on Ariel, the cutest baby in the world (besides Cammy, of course). I could have snuggled her all day, everyday! She is so sweet and happy - I think everyone there enjoyed their special smiles she passed out:)
Now that we're home, it's been back to real life. I'm back at work, which hasn't been too bad. Cam is enjoying his summer "bacation", (can't make a "V" with no front teeth). He's lost another tooth on the bottom now, so that's a total of 6 teeth missing from the front of his mouth, hence he has a big hole that his tongue will fit through. He'll be getting speech therapy at school this year b/c he needs some help in that area. Part of it is the missing teeth, the other part is developmental.
At camp, Brandon accidentally spewed lime chalk? all over a room he was in and proceeded to inhale it. He had to go to Urgent Care yesterday b/c he was having trouble breathing with a raspy cough and his skin burned. The diagnosis: Pleurisy (his lungs are inflamed and irritated from the corrosive lime), and chemical burns on his back. He's on prednisone now and doing ok. Scared me a bit b/c nothing is ever wrong with Brandon, so when he says his breathing is hard, it's not good.
I've been doing more cooking! My friend Liz told me about a cookbook called Hungry Girl and I have fallen in love with her recipes! They are revamped ideas of our favorite foods that are bad for us and they are yummy, yummy! I also have been going on Foodfit.com and getting really yummy, easy recipes. We are eating much healthier, which feels so much better than fast food on the run, which Brandon and Cam love.
Pray for me this week. I have a dr's appt. that will hopefully address some of the fertility issues I'm having. I won't go into more detail now, but it's a little scary for me and depressing. We hope God will bless us with another baby, but it's just not going as easily as we'd hoped.
I think that's about all for now. We have VBS coming up and then vacation in Wilmington, which i cannot wait for! This weekend is the fourth of July and we'll be at Smith Mountain Lake with Alicia (one of my best buddies) and her family, as well as some other good friends. Hopefully Brandon will be feeling better so he can wakeboard, he loves it and is really good! I'll just enjoy being out on the boat and the lake! Have a great Independence Day! Until next time......Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment